> It's promising to see that Mac OS X, a strong BSD
> UNIX, is looking
> more and more like Solaris with every new release. Go
> play with
> Leopard if you get a chance.
>
> -john

Yes, Mac OS is probably trying to catch up with Solaris.  But do you think
Solaris will be allowed to stand still?  :-)

A comparison b/t Solaris and the MacOS is a indeed healthy one, but the battle
ground should be in the [B]desktop[/B] area, particularly in business desktops.
 If you choose your hardware judiciously, Solaris 10 should be the
[B]preferred[/B] desktop OS for businesses.  It's definitely not sexy, but this
is actually a very positive point.  A sysadm or CIO should open his/her mind
and take a very careful and critical look at what a Solaris desktop has to
offer (especially considering running a thin client system in conj with a
Solaris server) versus other OSes.

BTW I have noted that the price of a SunRay client has come down to a very
reasonable level.  (It's of course still high for individual users, but should
be considered reasonable for businesses.)  A SunRay client could save at least
100W per machine.  In Oahu, we are paying about 25 cents per KWH (neighbor
islands are paying much more).  This translates to roughly 25 cents per day or
about $90+ a year per machine.  As a rule of thumb, the air conditioning cost
is at least double that of desktop machine's utility cost.  Thus, in about a
year or so, the savings in energy cost could pay for the machine itself.  But
in terms of reducing office noise and reducing our guilty feeling about
contributing to global warming, the benefits are much more.