Wang, Frank wrote:
>>From application(database, middleware, etc.)'s
perspective, do
 Solaris10
> and OpenSolaris (Nevada or Indiana in future)
provide the same
> interface/compatiblity? That is say if an
application is certificed
 in
> Solaris10, does it mean it can also run smoothly on
OpenSolaris
> automatically? If not, what kind of compatibility
(between Solaris10
 and
> Nevada/Indiana) can end user expect? Any info on
this topic will be
> welcome.
---------------->

Frank,

There are a few links to this in which I was targeting
for the December review on Sun OS technologies.

1. Solaris 10 application support, compatibility,
installation on non-Sun hardware.

2. Software development on Indiana-based distros is
another concern in backward compatibility and porting
to Solaris 10.

3. Issues with current multi-core and threading
setups. This goes into support of the newer dual
multi-core setups (dual 4-core and 8-core CPUs).

4. Identifying single-threaded and multi-threaded
commercial and open source apps.

So, good question and there is a lot of ground that
needs covering!!! Mainly, applications should be
installed and tested currently on Solaris 10 08/07
first, then an officially tested and supported
OpenSolaris-distro (i.e. SXCE/SXDE).

See:
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/apps/
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/scla.jsp

That will keep things on the right path for now for
most user testing. You think?

~ Ken Mays