Chandan Maddanna writes:
> Hi James
>
> "That's not quite true. IPMP's inbound load spreading makes use of multiple
> data addresses in a group. When we make outbound connections to multiple
> peers and there are multiple data addresses, we'll intentionally round-robin
> select among those addresses to use as source addresses, each with a separate
> MAC address. That allows the return traffic to be spread among the available
> links. The other part of the picture is DNS. For spreading of inbound
> connections, you should insert all of the data addresses as IN A records for
> a single name, and configure your server so that it does round-robin
> necessary.)"
>

> Can you please tell em a bit more about this, how can IPMP make inbound
> spreading,

You need to use multiple data addresses.

> because i saw in documentation that test IPs are used explicitly for test
> pings and availability check only.

That's correct; test addresses have nothing to do with it.

> . so.. i was not able to comprehend, it will be helpful , if you can help me
> understand,

Here's an example using test addresses on the 10.0.0.0/24 subnet, and
data addresses on 192.168.0.0/24.

  ifconfig hme0 plumb 10.0.0.1/24 broadcast + deprecated -failover \
    group ipmp0 up
  ifconfig hme0 addif 192.168.0.1/24 broadcast + up

  ifconfig hme1 plumb 10.0.0.2/24 broadcast + deprecated -failover \
    group ipmp0 up
  ifconfig hme1 addif 192.168.0.2/24 broadcast + up

This gives you two test addresses (one each on hme0 and hme1), and two
data addresses (one each on hme0:1 and hme1:1).

On outbound connections, and where the socket is not already bound,
we'll select among the available data addresses first, meaning that
we'll pick 192.168.0.1 as our source when going to some destinations,
and 192.168.0.2 when going to others.

The use of two different IP addresses -- and a different MAC address
for each -- causes the traffic coming back in to be spread between the
links.

Then, to complete the picture, you'll probably want to have load
spreading for the inbound connections as well.  To do this, you'll
need to use multiple addresses for the server.  For example, in the
named configuration, you might have something like this:

server          IN      A       192.168.0.1
                IN      A       192.168.0.2

This specifies that "server" in the current domain resolves as two
addresses.  By default, BIND9 should return them in cyclic
(round-robin) order, but check your documentation if necessary.

Note that DNS caching on the client systems (the ones generating that
inbound traffic) can sometimes interfere with this mechanism.