> We do not (and have never) searched the known
> Universe for possible
> conflicts that may possibly live in somebody's home
> directory.
> They're just not relevant, no matter what time/date
> stamp might be on
> that file.
>
> You're asking for us to be reasonable, so I think we
> should ask the
> same in return: I don't think it's at all reasonable
> to block the
> project that's moving /usr/sfw/bin/compare to
> /usr/bin/compare on the
> theoretical problem that somebody, someday, maybe,
> might want to
> integrate some other program that happens to install
> with the same
> name.  Under that theory, there are essentially an
> arbitrary number of
> "conflicts" -- because we don't have the history of
> the world right at
> hand.

James, you make good points. Certainly nobody can search every nook and cranny
or know what is in someone's head. However, this particular scenario is
specific because a conflict was brought to attention.

The crucial question is this: is the PSARC / ARC / whatever you want to call it
-- let's call it "the process" so *rigid* and so *inflexible* that, even when
someone external reports a conflict, nothing can be done about it?

I mean, does the process need to looked at and revised, or are we dealing with
an emotional factor here as well?