> Dale Ghent wrote:

> You'd lose.  My first personal contact with Unix was
> around 1983, at
> DEC-Marlboro, and that was Ultrix-32 on a Vax (I'd
> been developing
> software professionally for 14 years before that).

I know people which have been "doing UNIX sysadmin" for 20+ years, and they
still don't understand the basic concepts behind UNIX.
It doesn't really matter all that much what one did and for how long, what
matters the most is how deep one got involved with it. Someone that's had a
knowledgeable mentor and has gotten deeply involved might be on a path to
master within just a few years; I've certainly had such students in my time. In
fact, I have one such student right now.

> Also, one thing I'm trying to communicate is that, to
> an awful lot of
> people coming to Solaris today, it looks and feels
> archaic.

"Not all that is gold glitters, nor all those who wander are lost;
deep are the roots that do not wither, and not reached by the frost."