On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 11:08:40 -0600
"Shawn Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2008 9:42 AM, UNIX admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > It just so happens that GNU/Linux is one of those
> > > platforms from which
> > > certain evaluations are drawn.
> >
> > Yeah well, I can tell you that it would have been much more useful to draw
> > from operating systems which got things right, like HP-UX, and IRIX in
> > particular! Even FreeBSD has features that would be desireable in
> > OpenSolaris.
> >

> I'm not sure what we could learn in terms of developer accessibility
> or approachability from dead or dormant platforms.

FreeBSD is far from "dead or dormant" platform.  And quite frankly, the
more Sun fan-boy posts I read in this thread, the less psyched I am
becoming about Open/Solaris. I dedicated quite a bit of time reading
various docs, etc. before I spent much time following the lists, but
now that I have, my current impression is rapidly becoming more along
the lines of; "my god, what a mess....".  A week ago I had 99.9%
decided to use Open/Solaris as platform for our next project.  Now I'm
99.9% decided that a more prudent approach may well be to "give it
another year and see what shakes out in the wash".  I don't have a
problem investing months gaining the requisite Solaris expertise.  But
I do have a problem _if_ that time subsequently becomes wasted effort
because Open/Solaris becomes a Linux-esqe hodge-podge of buggy code.

Thank you and have a  nice day:)

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson