Kyle McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For instance, I understand that in the linux world 'DBUS' and 'HAL' have
> come from the same (or closely connected) community that GNOME comes
> from. So I don't see a problem with the GNOME team at sun being
> responsible for integrating them into Solaris.

I see a problem from  the fact that ON now depends on GNOME.

If someone likes to create a GPL-free base OS (e.g. to run on embedded
hardware), things become hard to manage. I believe we need a rule set like
the FreeBSD people have that grants a functional base OS with code that
onlce uses a "free enough" license to allow embedded devices.

> But when the program that manages automatically mounting removable media
> was integrated and required these API's, libraries, and daemons, I think
> it should have been obvious to move them to some other more 'system
> level' package and not allowed to stay in large GNOME packages that have
> a multitude of other package dpenedencies. Right now you can't install a
> headless machine without GNOME that will still mount a CD when it's
> inserted.

See above ;-), we need some general rules for what may be integrated under which
constraints.

> Another example, is Xscreensaver. I always used to be able install that
> with only X11 installed. Now not only does GNOME have to be installed
> too, So does large portions of Evolution!! What on earth does Evolution
> have to do with a ScreenSaver?

Good question, but I don't know. The problem I see with Xscreensaver is that
it is installed suid root on SXCE and thus is unable to read ~/.Xauthority
from NFS mounted home directories. Removing the suid root did fix the problem
for me.

> So, If attention is paid to dependencies, and the likely use-cases when
> the files are divided among packages, I don't have much problem with
> this additional software. But today it's already too much like linux for
> me. The situtation described above about upgrading one piece, and being
> forced to upgrade half the machine is for me here already. I can't
> remove a large number of pacakgeswithout removing ones I want. I can't
> add ones I want without adding a huge number of pacakge I don't want.

The more complex the relations between different packages become, the harder it
is to "correctly" deal with the relateed problems.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)