Shawn Walker wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008 11:59 AM, Kyle McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Joerg Schilling wrote:

>>> If you have problems with that, you may modify /etc/passwd
>>>

>> Since it seems that one group cares more about what they end up with
>> when they login as, or su to root, and the other group seems to care
>> more about scripts that use #!/bin/sh running correctly, then maybe,
>> just maybe (dare I say it?) the solution is to just make the default
>> passwd entry for root specify /bin/ksh (or ksh93 if they aren't the same?)
>>
>> That seems to cover most if not all of the concerns I've heard voiced,
>> unless I missed something.
>>
>> Personally, when I work as 'root' I automatically get the shell from my
>> own account, not root's so this change doesn't affect me much.
>>

> The issue doesn't have to do with which default shell the user has;
>
> It has to do with what shell is used when a script is executed that
> has "#!/bin/sh" at the top.
>
> For system administrators that have to maintain software for a
> non-heterogeneous environment, it is one more thing they have to deal
> with.

I think you mean 'non-homogeneous'. ;) Otherwise you'd have no problems
because you'd have no different platforms.

If linux is one of your platforms though, then you still have problems,
since /bin/sh is bash on there, and not ksh93, and you'll still have
feature, and behaviour differences to work around.

  -Kyle