Shawn Walker wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008 2:35 PM, Kyle McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Shawn Walker wrote:

>>> They do care and they do recognize bugs and problems with Solaris /bin/sh.
>>>
>>> GNU/Linux users don't notice these issues with bash is what Joerg was
>>> talking about.
>>>

>> ANd giving them ksh (or even dash I imagine) on Solaris isn't going to
>> be that noticeable then, or  any better. Theonly thing they'll
>> appreciate is giving them bash complete with it's bugs.
>>

> A working backspace key isn't going to be noticed?

I was under the (possibly wrong) imporession that that was a terminfo,
or other terminal definition problem. Not the shell.
> Their programs suddenly working without requiring the shell scripts
> for them to be changed isn't noticeable?

And people who's programs ans shell scripts suddenly stop working won't
be noticeable?

Who's going to check all the scripts in the world and update them?
Not just the scripts in solaris itself. Just think of all the Per or
Post install or remove scripts in the packages in BlastWave, or aome
other repository?

What solaris user is going to be happy when they want to install
VRTSvxfs pacakge and it fails?

If you want to be able to write modern portable POSIX shellscripts then
you should push for all the other UNIXes to have a /bin/ksh, and write
your scripts with #!/bin/ksh

With the exception of Linux (and you might be able to fix that for your
machines with 'ln /bin/sh /bin/ksh' - I don't know.) I'm pretty sure the
other unixes already have a decent ksh.

   -Kyle