> No it's more like: "They have needs that they feel
> require a higher end
> product, and are *willing* to pay for it. - So let's
> make it for them."

Well that's exactly my point: most aren't willing to pay for it, a fact that
has reflected poorly on company's financial performance. The proof is in the
pudding!

> I'd be wiling to bet that if Sun did what it would
> take to compete at
> the price level you're asking for, you wouldn't
> prefer their servers any
> more, you'd think they were just as bad as the
> others.

No, I would be more than glad to outfit my shop with Sun only. Hey, if that
happened, it'd be like, where do I sign up? I get first dibs!!!

ALOM is still THE law. Everything else just plays 2nd fiddle. Unfortunately,
even ALOM doesn't justify the sticker price.

I'd load on those shiny new intel servers first.  You know, the X4150?
Then, I'd get a few "Hurons", too. Mmmm, yummy...

And as many will recall, one named Linus Torvalds has already been through this
before. And the high sticker price of the hardware he couldn't afford (by his
own words) to run Solaris ticked him off so, that he made his own OS, Linux.
Now years later, SUNW is trying to do damage control, hence OpenSolaris.

So it boils down to, you never know who SUNW is going to tick off with their
pricing policy, and what kind of a fallout SUNW will have to deal with because
of that years down the road...

> It maybe true that you've had a drive that failed
> quickly. That's not
> what MTBF means. The M is for 'Mean' or 'Average'.
> Just because some
> still fail early doesn't mean that the parts,
> processes, testing etc.

I'm saying that the Mean Time Between Failure is the same or lower on Sun
labeled drives as on any other run-o'-the-mill drive. That's my story, from my
own experience, and I'm stickin' to it!

> If Sun was charging more, and claiming they were
> better, but the specs
> were actually the same, then I'd agree with you. But
> to the best of my
> knowledge the specs are higher.

Look, it's all computers, no matter what. And computers ARE a *commodity* no
matter what. One just can't be charging premiums for computers in this day and
age. Customers have already voted with their dollars by IBM, hp, and DELL.
That's the end result, and the end result is the only thing that matters.