Dr. Robert Pasken wrote:
> I just bought a Sun Ultra-24. It is a Quad-core 2.4ghz box with 4gb of memory
> 250gb of disk and a garbage nvidia card for $1300. Unfortunately you cann't
> buy the better performing Ultrasparc's at this proce point

I have two comments. First, my experience is that you can almost never
compare hardware prices in the manner many on this list have done. They
look at the particular specs without thinking about the qualifications. For
example, I have seen the specs on some of the disk drives that go into
Sun hardware. The manufacturer was providing MTBF almost twice that
of the same model from the same manufacturer as available from retail
stores.  The same goes for RAM, the specs are just not the same.

Second, Sun has not traditionally sold to the low end market. They do
not have the facilities to handle it well. People are working to change
this, but that is how matters stand.

So, selling to the higher end market results in a greater target
markup on already more expensive equipment. The prices are
really not out of line, they just seem like it.

Brian Utterback