On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 20:00:01 -0500
Brian Utterback <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dr. Robert Pasken wrote:
> > I just bought a Sun Ultra-24. It is a Quad-core 2.4ghz box with 4gb of
> > memory 250gb of disk and a garbage nvidia card for $1300. Unfortunately you
> > cann't buy the better performing Ultrasparc's at this proce point
> >
> I have two comments. First, my experience is that you can almost never
> compare hardware prices in the manner many on this list have done. They
> look at the particular specs without thinking about the qualifications. For
> example, I have seen the specs on some of the disk drives that go into
> Sun hardware. The manufacturer was providing MTBF almost twice that
> of the same model from the same manufacturer as available from retail
> stores.  The same goes for RAM, the specs are just not the same.
>
> Second, Sun has not traditionally sold to the low end market. They do
> not have the facilities to handle it well. People are working to change
> this, but that is how matters stand.
>
> So, selling to the higher end market results in a greater target
> markup on already more expensive equipment. The prices are
> really not out of line, they just seem like it.

I realize Sun is not out to compete with low end commodity hardware.
Hence the ram price I quoted earlier was for Crucial brand name.
Pretty top end memory and Sun was about 100% mark up on that.  Dell
used to be the same.  Then people got smart and started ordering their
Dell's with stripped down memory and placing their own orders from
Crucial.  It took all of about 6 months for Dell to _exactly_ match
Crucial's prices on memory upgrades for their configurations.

I'm not here to bitch about Sun.  Just my $0.02 on this thread since I
am presently/recently looking at some Sun hardware.  The machines we
build tends to be pretty high/top end component wise but Sun is
still quite a significant premium on top of that, wh/presents a
difficult/impossible proposition to sell to clients.  So we won't be
buying Sun hardware for this next project even though we might
otherwise like to.

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson