* Ken Gunderson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > Ok, but that's different from what's being talked about in this thread.
> > FWIW, I use Gnome in Indiana DP2 every day (and have been since DP2
> > released) and haven't had a Gnome crash yet.
>
> This thread has discussed a few different things - I must be confused
> but I thought current context was Gnome dumping core, at least in some
> cases due to ASSERT being enabled for debugging purposes.  I'm just
> reporting that I have Gnome dumping core on _both_ 79 and 84 builds,
> particularly when running Evolution, frequently enough so as to make
> either of them unusable for daily operations.

Fair enough, you're having issues.  I and others I know aren't.  I'm not
a Gnome developer so I wouldn't even know where to begin to help track
down Gnome issues.  But, you might try running gnome-cleanup (which
removes a bunch of gnome settings in your home dir).  I've seen this
solve some peoples crash problems.  Of course, you'll want to back up
your homedir first (or at least the files/dirs that get nuked in the
gnome-cleanup script).

> I further reported that this is occurring on amd64 bit hardware
> because in my experience w/other OS's bugs pop up in 64 bit mode that
> seem to slip past 32 bit mode.

I'm running on 64-bit Intel hardware (Lenovo T61p to be precise).

> > > What would be really appreciated is if Sun/OS would invest some
> > > energies in porting Xfce - lightweight, fast, and sports a nice window
> > > manager that actually does useful things like shade on mouse title bar
> > > scroll, right click anywhere for full menu, page desktops on mouse
> > > scroll, etc. It's gtk based and attracts a lot of "Gnome refugees" to
> > > it's ranks, so should not be too hard to port, eh?
> >
> > Feel free to step right up and take that on :-)
>
> Would love to but I am not a developer and too old to change horses at
> this stage in life. Hence my first sentence in the paragraph above. If
> you've not ever looked at Xfce, or looked at it lately, perhaps you
> might want to take a gander.  I have several unix grey beard type
> buddies who've ditched Gnome for Xfce after taking it for a test drive
> and in recent years Xfce is attracting an increasingly large cadre of
> "Gnome Refugees".  There must be a reason.

I'm very familiar with it.  It's *nice*, but I don't have a reason to
leave Gnome at this point (and if I did, it'd probably be to something
like OpenBox/FluxBox).

As for a reason that Xfce is attracting "Gnome Refugees", I'm sure there
is one.  However, I'd love to see a real investigation into why (if in
fact that is the case) rather than postulate that "there must be a
reason" before drawing any conclusions. :-)

Cheers,

--
Glenn