On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 2:20 AM, Jürgen Keil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  And another case was an attempt to use "xsltproc(1)" on a
>  big xml file, this time on an amd64 x2 machine with 4GB of
>  memory, using zfs, and the xsltproc process had grown to
>  use > 2GB of memory.  Again heavy disk trashing, and I
>  didn't had the impression that the arc cache did shrink enough
>  to prevent that thrashing.

I did a quick check, and found some RFEs and associated bugs that look
related to the problem that you're seeing:

    *  ZFS should avoiding growing the ARC into trouble
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6488341

    * ZFS/ARC should cleanup more after itself
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6424665

It sounds like the ARC is shrinking (since after multiple runs it's
faster) but it's not reacting quickly enough to the increase in memory
use.

-B

--
Brandon High [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The good is the enemy of the best." - Nietzsche