Ok, I think this is the trick:

* copy /usr/dt/config/C/Xresources to /etc/dt/config/C/Xresources

* in the copied file, find the lines

!! Dtlogin*altDtName1:  Common Desktop Environment (CDE)
!! Dtlogin*altDtKey1:   /usr/dt/bin/dtwm
!! Dtlogin*altDtStart1: /usr/dt/bin/Xsession
!! Dtlogin*altDtLogo1:  Dtlogo

and uncomment them (remove the "!! " at the beginning).

Repeat as needed, substituting for "C" in the pathnames of the file you're
copying
from/to the name of whatever other locale(s) you use.

* svcadm disable svc:/application/graphical-login/gdm:default
  svcadm enable svc:/application/graphical-login/cde-login:default

(only one of the above can be enabled at any given time)

It's possible I forgot to mention something I'd already done for myself a long
time ago,
but if I did, it's probably along the same lines.

As has been previously stated, don't expect enough of CDE to stick around to be
able
to keep doing this.  One solution would be to always keep a copy of /usr/dt and
/etc/dt
from an older build, in other directories.  When enough goes away that it can't
be made
to work anymore, just loopback mount your old copies over the top of the new
directories;
that won't actually alter any files, but it may let the old stuff keep working.
 Just be
sure to remove the loopback mounts before doing any upgrades, and restore them
afterwards.  Obviously that would be totally unsupported, but it would probably
work.

BTW, it's not so much CPU that GNOME eats up, as it is memory.  With enough RAM
(and perhaps some non-essential functionality disabled), it might not be that
much slower than CDE.