Graeme West wrote:
> Hi there,
> I've been attempting to install OpenSolaris 2008.5 as a fully
> virtualised guest on a CentOS 5.2 Xen host. When I boot the OpenSolaris
> DomU for the first time, I get the blue screen allowing me to pick
> either the OpenSolaris installer or the text mode installer, but after
> that the installation hangs. It gets as far as:
>
>> SunOS Release 5.11 Version snv_86 32-bit
>> Copyright 1983-2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
>> Use is subject to license terms.
>> Hostname: opensolaris
>> Remounting root read/write
>> Probing for device nodes...
>
> I'm using the GUI guest OS installer in virt-manager. Here is my setup
> for the VM:
>
> Mode: Full virtualisation (64-bit)
> Disk: 32GB flat file
> RAM: 2GB
> Start-up RAM: 2GB
> VCPUs: 8     (the machine has 8 real CPUs)
> OS install image: os200805.iso
>

> I suspect that this could be something to do with the OpenSolaris
> installer starting in 32-bit mode. I didn't get the option to pick
> between 32 and 64 bit modes for the VM when running through the install
> setup. Is this the problem, and is there a way to force OpenSolaris to
> start the install CD in 64-bit mode?

This should just work, bug 315 (defect.opensolaris.org) was fixed
precisely to support running as a domU, but perhaps there's something
different with the CentOS host implementation that reflects a different
device setup.

The live CD boot is set up to automatically select 64-bit if the
platform reports that it is 64-bit capable.  You can try to force it by
editing the GRUB entries (replace $ISADIR with amd64) but that's likely
to fail if GRUB's auto-detection of the platform didn't work.

You could also try the build 93 development ISO as OS changes since
2008.05 may allow it to just work.

Filing a bug at defect.opensolaris.org (distribution/opensolaris/livecd)
would be helpful.

Dave