> Please read Akhilesh's answer carefully and stop
> repeating
> the same thing.  Staroffice is to Latex/Framemaker
> what a
> mid-size sedan is to an 18-wheeler.  To the untrained
> eye,
> they appear to perform similar actions, but the
> actual overlap
> is really small.
>
> > Sorry, can't help it.  :-)
>
> Please, try harder...
>
> florin
>
> --
> Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
>       http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163
> EGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)

I am asking you to do the same, too.  Please read my series of posts carefully.

I am sensing a strong hostility in the Solaris community against
StarOfficce/OpenOffice.org.  Perhaps it is no surprise that the Solaris version
of OpenOffice.org seriously (from the point of view of an experienced user)
lags that of other operating systems.  Actually, a couple of main stream Linux
distros (e.g., SuSE and Ubuntu) are using a forked (by Novell) version of
OpenOffice.org.  If someone can help me port that version of OOo to
OpenSolaris, I will greatly appreciate it.  (However, with this out-burst, I
doubt anyone will.  :-)  )

I don't doubt the superiority of LaTex/Framemaker in conjunction with Distiller
in producing nicely typeset books and brochures.  But how good is a tool if it
produces a product that its intended users can NOT read?  This is what prompted
me to start this thread--and I really regret that I brought this issue up.  I
know this problem is being solved, but can someone guarantee me that this will
never happen again?

Second, Sun is claiming, according to its CEO, to be transferring itself into
an open source powerhouse.  How does the act of refusing to use an open source
product which is perhaps 90~95% as good but can be iteratively improved, impact
someone like myself who wants to believe everything Sun said?

It is the latter that I care the most about.