Paul Gress <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> One thing I've noticed on an old laptop I had is that it couldn't read
> DVD +.  I had to reburn it on a DVD -.  Again, the very first DVD
> readers did not read DVD + format, which is almost forgotten today.

My experiences with DVD+RW read compatibility made 2-5 years ago are extremely
bad. Using the same brand of writers usually does not give problems.....

DVD+ compatibility seems to be better now but still less optimal than DVD+.

The DVD-Forum runs frequent readability tests with all known media, all known
writers and all known readers. But this is done onle for the official DVD-
formats. DVD+ is not a DVD-Forum format.

If you have a drive that is very old (in special Toshiba notebooks drives)
there is a high risk that DVD+ read support is not implemented at all.

Additional DVD+ support for all drives started mainly because there have been
shops that sold DVD- only writers but only DVD+ media was present in the same
shop. Customers complained to the drive manufacturers... and as all DVD Chip
designers did implement DVD+ support at that time because there was an
ivitation to bid for a DVD+- writer from the Sony PC division before, DVD+
support was finally added to all drives.

BTW: if you care about long term storage, look at Verbatim high quality media.
Also note that TDK (A Pioneer owned company) should be able to make good media.
My oldest DVD-R that I am still able to reead completely without problems was
written by me (using cdrecord) in March 1998. It is a Pioneer medium sold for
70 Euro at that time.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)