On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 23:16:41 +0100
Calum Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 19 Oct 2008, at 13:11, Duncan Paterson wrote:
>
> > What are the chances that this will one day rival apt for selection,
> > frequency of updates and speed.
>
> It will happen a lot quicker once we have repositories in place to
> which everyone can contribute packages.  I get the feeling that'll be
> a pretty high priority once 2008.11 is out the door, and with a bit of
> luck it'll be in full swing in time for the 2009.04 release.

Yes, but is it going to be like the rpm/apt packaging systems, which
are fine so long as you want exactly what the builder felt like
providing, or more like bsd-ports inspired systems, which provide
enough flexibility so that people don't wind up having to build them
from scratch in order to get applications that meet their needs - and
which at the older end are much better than apt for selection and
frequency of updates?

     <mike
--
Mike Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://www.mired.org/consulting.html