> I'd much rather see a ports type implementation than
> an rpm
> implementation - particularly if it includes the
> sources.
>
> fpsm

Sources available? Darn right - some of the licenses require that, too.

Build from source as the normal method of installation?  That, I think is
too slow for most people (who would have trouble spelling "C", and wouldn't
be interested anyway).

Unless I want something simple and quick, MacPorts definitely
gets on my nerves (although it's pretty good - very few things have
trouble building, and they usually get fixed fast).