Mike Meyer wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:49:36 PDT "Richard L. Hamilton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>>> I'd much rather see a ports type implementation than
>>> an rpm
>>> implementation - particularly if it includes the
>>> sources.
>> Sources available? Darn right - some of the licenses require that, too.
>
> Sources is one thing. Being able to build it is quite another.
>
>> Build from source as the normal method of installation?  That, I think is
>> too slow for most people (who would have trouble spelling "C", and wouldn't
>> be interested anyway).
>
> True. And most people don't care much about having lots of unused code
> around or the security implications of doing that, either. So things
> like apt & rpm make them happy.
>
> However, the various ports systems demonstrate two things:
>
> 1) Given a good package manager that handles dependencies properly,
>    you can provide binaries packages that let the user configure only
>    what they need (assuming, of course, that this is reasonable for
>    the software in question).
>
> 2) If you provide a mechanism that lets people set compile-time
>    configuration options, package developers will provide them, and
>    end users will put up with compiling from source to take advantage
>    of them.
>
> Both of these are important. The first because, as you say, compiling
> is to slow for most people and most packages. The second because it's
> more important to get critical packages configured *right* than it is
> to get them installed immediately.
>
> Having a system that makes rebuilding from sources as simple as
> installing the binary (and the various ports systems do that, whereas
> as far as I can tell none of the rpm or apt-based systems come
> anywhere near it) makes the latter possible. That doesn't mean
> building from source has to the only - or even the primary - way to
> install a package. Just that it's shouldn't be a second class citizen.

I would venture to guess that a significant majority of users will never
need to or want to recompile or alter the software as you suggest.

They're going to want a stable, tested version of the software, and that
means a pre-built, pre-configured binary that's been signed by their vendor.

Since you need or want a more flexible system, I'd suggest you discuss
it with the pkgbuild folks.

It is highly unlikely that the IPS team will focus resources on a build
system as it won't help us reach our primary goals and the resources
spent developing are better spent on improving the primary user experience.

Cheers,
--
Shawn Walker