On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Alan Coopersmith
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ginn Chen wrote:
>> Currently on Solaris, libpixman in system cairo or Firefox doesn't build
>> with MMX & SSE
>> acceleration, that is something we can improve for x86.
>
> Both copies of libpixman (are there really two?) should go away soon anyway,
> now that the shared libpixman is integrated to X for nv_103.   (Not that we
> have MMX/SSE on either at the moment, since we build with Studio 12, not
> gcc, though enabling the MMX/SSE acceleration in the libfb code that pixman
> will be replacing is one of the reasons Xorg is still built with gcc.)
>
> --
>        -Alan Coopersmith-           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>         Sun Microsystems, Inc. - X Window System Engineering

Right, gcc doesn't produce bad or slow code nowadays.
Definitely not on x86, but also not on SPARC anymore.
In many cases it even makes reasonable sense to choose gcc over
Studio, because the whole open-src world centers around gcc. Here and
there you find optimizations that will only work if you use gcc (and
sometimes gas instead of /usr/ccs/bin/as).
Further: On SPARC there are odd alignment issues in pre 1.5.x
(pre-libpciaccess) Xorg's sparcPci.c that you are UNABLE to fix with
Studio. If you use any one of Studio's alignment options, the best you
can ever get (after weeks of trying on misc. systems with different
pci-bridges) is, that the resulting Xorg binary doesn't immediately
crash with a SIGBUS or SIGSEGV anymore, while the bus scanning would
be non-functional in those cases. With gcc it is enough, if you
disable optimization ("-O0") and have it pre-processed with
"-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64". See
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/fox/fox-gate/XW_NV/open-src/xserver/xorg/Makefile
.
I like gcc because it has repeatedly helped me to get things working,
which not only would first need to be ported to Studio, but which in
some cases cannot even be ported to Studio at all. Another example is
Qemu.
Those who try to make gcc look bad should be reminded, that early
versions of Solaris 10's amd64 kernel could only ship in time, because
gcc was able to build for -m64 on x86 already, way before Studio had
been ported.
Another thing that Studio lacks is the ability to be built as a cross-compiler.
In fact: It cannot be built at all, because we have no public src.

I use gcc every day, also for building Nevada and sfw, also fox-gate /
Xorg, and it feels really good [T.M.] .

%martin
http://www.martux.org:8001