On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 01:56:45PM -0500, Sebastien Roy wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 10:28 -0800, Glenn Lagasse wrote:
> > * Brian Utterback (brian.utterb...@sun.com) wrote:
> > > It is simple. Do we want the default environment to be a Solaris one or a
> > > GNU one?  If you want both, you have to provide a knob to switch them
> > > back
> > > and forth.
> >
> > And at some point, we may have just that (perhaps even in the
> > Installer).  I'm not saying there isn't room for some improvement on

It can be both, a per-user and a global knob, so it should be a Users
and Groups knob, not so much an installer feature.

> > this issue.  What I am saying is that we need to take in to account new
> > adopters and make it as simple as possible for them to 'get their legs
> > under them'.  In some cases, that means catering to a less
> > experienced/technically savvy user which has traditionally not been a
> > significant part of the Solaris userbase.
>
> And in the interest of not turning the current installer into a
> design-by-committee twelve-headed hairy monster like the old one, please
> stick the knob somewhere out of the way where we're not forced to have
> to toggle it one way or the other. :-)

Agreed, but if this is done in the user addition GUI and it's just a
checkbox then it will be out of the way.

> I would not want to be forced to serially go through a gauntlet of
> mostly unnecessary questions like the old installer used to do regarding
> naming, IPv6, and kerberos (for example).

Oh absolutely, keep as much of the old sysidconfig stuff out of the
installer as possible, please.

Nico