casper....@sun.com wrote:

> >> * A proper find option would be "-filedepth +/-[num]"
> >
> >Unless you are able to explain this, I prefer -maxdepth and -mindepth
> >and  I even implemented it in libfind + sfind three years ago.
>
> All options in find which take a numeric argument, work like this:
>

>       +n   - more than n
>        n   -  exactly n
>       -n   - less than n
>
> (size, ctime/mtime/links/ etc)

What you are talking about in the text above is not an option but something
that is called a "primary" operator.

"primary" operators are evaluated in the expression interpreter, _options_ are
evaluated elsewhere.

-mindepth, -maxdepth, -xdev are options by not "primary" operators.

Mixing options with "primary" operators is ugly.... but it seems to be OK
to let users see that there is such a difference...

> There is NO numeric argument except when a particular object is identified
> (inum, group, user, etc)
>
> So I believe that the proper option would have been "filedepth"  (depth was
> already taken)
>

>       file -filedepth n  (same as "find -maxdepth n -mindepth n")
>       file -filedepth -n  (same as "find -maxdepth n-1")
>       file -filedepth +n  (same as "find -mindepth n+1")

...the name -filedepth does not look like the best choice as it refers to the
directory nesting level "above" the files.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       j...@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)