On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Tim Bray <tim.b...@sun.com> wrote:
>> On the other side, GNU tar is unreliable.
>
> It is really unhelpful to Solaris when its advocates make inflammatory and
> incorrect statements like this.  We agree that you have reported a bug.
>  There is no bug-free software in the world.  The immensely huge numbers of
> people who, like me, have been using GNU tools such as tar for many years
> without any problems hear things like this and are apt to conclude "Solaris
> people are out of touch with reality".  -T

This isn't really my fight, but ....

Inflammatory, maybe. Incorrect, I don't think so. Joerg has made a
fairly convincing, and consistent, point of showing where the
reliability problems with GNU tar lie - in bugs that were filed 16
years ago. You even acknowledged them in your response. Out of context
editing of his posts do not help your argument.

Also, I find it odd that you are posting from a sun.com email address
while making statements like "Solaris people are out of touch",
clearly putting "Solaris people" in the "Them" category in an Us vs.
Them comparision. As a Sun employee, I would think that you should be
a "Solaris person".

I agree with Joerg that "we should carefully maintain the OpenSolaris
userland and that it makes sense to have an own set of commands that
fit to the features in the kernel", but I would add that we need to
keep in mind the need to minimize the pain in porting of features and
tools between Solaris and OpenSolaris.

fpsm