On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Alexander Vlasov
<alexander.vla...@sun.com> wrote:

[...]

> English is not my first language (nor second), however I'm able to
> understand original phrase:
> "huge number of people using GNU tools are apt to conclude..."

Tim and I have already traded email on this. However, since this was
cc'ed to several
lists, the full original quote was:

>> "The immensely huge numbers of people who, like me, have been using
>> GNU tools such as tar for many years without any problems hear things
>> like this and are apt to conclude "Solaris people are out of touch with
>> reality".

I guess I just put too much emphasis on the "like me" part of that statement
when I read his post.

> And I totally agree that Solaris will not benefit from Joerg-style postings
> -- as long-time Linux user I saw discussion he participated in on debian
> maillists and I know which reaction it causes among people.

There are many issues in lists and email with regards to phrasing, particularly
when speakers of multiple languages and different cultures are involved and I
do not disagree that Joerg could have worded his complaint more sensitively.
However, his point that there are some significant - if not often experienced -
reliability issues with GNU tar is valid and backed up by concrete examples. If
some people's feelings are hurt by that, it's unfortunate. However, it
does invalidate
his point.

fpsm