On Tue, February 10, 2009 11:40, Fredrich Maney wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Tim Bray <tim.b...@sun.com> wrote:
>>> On the other side, GNU tar is unreliable.
>>
>> It is really unhelpful to Solaris when its advocates make inflammatory
>> and
>> incorrect statements like this.  We agree that you have reported a bug.
>>  There is no bug-free software in the world.  The immensely huge numbers
>> of
>> people who, like me, have been using GNU tools such as tar for many
>> years
>> without any problems hear things like this and are apt to conclude
>> "Solaris
>> people are out of touch with reality".  -T
>
> This isn't really my fight, but ....
>
> Inflammatory, maybe. Incorrect, I don't think so. Joerg has made a
> fairly convincing, and consistent, point of showing where the
> reliability problems with GNU tar lie - in bugs that were filed 16
> years ago. You even acknowledged them in your response. Out of context
> editing of his posts do not help your argument.

I haven't looked at the bug he cites.  What I do know is that this
discussion is the first time I've heard of it, and I've been using various
tar implementations pretty frequently since, oh, let's say 1986
(previously I played on Unix a bit, but never worked on it).  So his
apocalyptic claims ring strangely hollow.  I'm sure the bug is real, and
should be fixed; but I can't find myself considering a tool "broken"
because there's a 16-year-old bug that I've never encountered or even
heard of previously.

> Also, I find it odd that you are posting from a sun.com email address
> while making statements like "Solaris people are out of touch",
> clearly putting "Solaris people" in the "Them" category in an Us vs.
> Them comparision. As a Sun employee, I would think that you should be
> a "Solaris person".

It's a big company.  I worked for them from 2005 to 2008.  The bit that I
worked in, Solaris wasn't around, the project was Linux based.  Also
written in C++, not Java; and running on AMD processors :-).  Kinda the
un-Sun part of Sun (I was on the streaming video server, part of Kealia
that they acquired in 2004).  (Also where the Thumper came from.)

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info