On Thu, February 12, 2009 03:01, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> "David Dyer-Bennet" <d...@dd-b.net> wrote:
>
>> > Inflammatory, maybe. Incorrect, I don't think so. Joerg has made a
>> > fairly convincing, and consistent, point of showing where the
>> > reliability problems with GNU tar lie - in bugs that were filed 16
>> > years ago. You even acknowledged them in your response. Out of context
>> > editing of his posts do not help your argument.
>>
>> I haven't looked at the bug he cites.  What I do know is that this
>> discussion is the first time I've heard of it, and I've been using
>> various
>> tar implementations pretty frequently since, oh, let's say 1986
>
> This is an intersting claim.....
>
> In 1986 it was pretty impossible for nearly all people to play with
> "different tar implementations".

You're trying to read too much into this; I'm only claiming that I started
using multiple Unixes and various toolsets regularly for work around 1986.
 I think it was a PC-AT Unix (286) and an XT Unix that year, and in 1987 I
believe I had my first contact with SunOS.  Earlier in the 80s I'd used
DEC's Unix while I was working out in Marlboro, but not really "for work".

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info