Brian Ruthven - Solaris Network Sustaining - Sun UK
<brian.ruth...@sun.com> writes:

> I believe you can create a named pipe (using mkfifo) somewhere in the
> filesystem (I'd suggest somewhere persistent, not /tmp or /var/run,
> etc...). I've seen it created as /var/log/logpipe or similar. Then
> simply name the file in syslog.conf without the '|' symbol.

Haa... ok, that was my error... my linux background.. showing... on
linux syslog you need the pipe there.

> However, note that if there is nothing reading from the pipe when
> syslogd starts (or when it receives a HUP) then it will ignore it, so
> you need to make sure something is reading the pipe before syslog
> starts. SMF is probably the best way to do this - you can insert a
> dependancy for the svc:/system/system-log service to make sure your pipe
> reader starts first.

> Also, if there is nothing reading from the pipe when syslogd tries to
> write to it, it will close it and ignore it until the next
> restart/refresh. However, the smf "restart on" property of the
> dependancy can refresh system-log if your reader dies and is restarted.

Thanks, all good info... but one thing... How do you keep the reader
running?

I mean a script using the fifo for input like `script myfifo' quits as
soon as the first line of syslog output comes thru..

Whereas something like `tail -f myfifo' keeps reading.

What I'm after is attaching a perl script to the fifo that is capable
of searching and sorting on any regex or any 2 regex actually, that you
feed the script on startup.

But unlike linux... where the pipe symbol goes into /etc/syslog.conf
on opensolaris my script just quits on the first line of output.

Maybe I can just add some trickiness to the script to make it act like
tail -f... but is that really necessary?

Am I missing something obvious here that would make any script
continue to read from the fifo?

man syslog.conf has no hits on either `fifo' or `pipe' so I'm guessing
there is no help there... I haven't pored through  every line but nothing
jumps out as helpful.