Hi Harry,

I've got nothing canned which I can quickly pass on, however, anything I gather will be from google ;-)

The top three hits searching for "writing smf manifest" look useful:

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/selfheal/sdev_intro.jsp
http://wikis.sun.com/display/BigAdmin/SMF+Short+Cuts
http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/chrismay/entry/solaris_smf_manifest/

I've not looked at them in depth, but they seem to contain a mixture of background and contain examples (or fragments). I'd suggest copying /var/svc/manifest/system/utmp.xml as a starting point for modification (obviously don't modify utmp.xml itself!). IIRC, it implements a simple, single-daemon 'child' type of service, which is restarted if it dies.

Hopefully that is enough to get you started. I'd suggest copying the manifest from a simple service such as utmp.xml and customise it to your needs. If your service needs a startup script, then you should include /lib/svc/share/smf_include.sh so you can use the correct exit codes to signal the right things to the framework.

Hope that helps,
Brian

Harry Putnam wrote:
Brian Ruthven - Sun UK <brian.ruth...@sun.com>
writes:
Personally, I would use an SMF service to wrap my reader, and place a
dependent entry in the manifest something like this:

Brian.. can you post some URLs about using SMF.  I'm completely
ignorant about it.  I realize I can google it but hoped URLs you
provided might save lots of time wasted on baloney hits.

Brian Ruthven
Solaris Revenue Product Engineering
Sun Microsystems UK
Sparc House, Guillemont Park, Camberley, GU17 9QG