as far as "PC" clones goes:
 What about a release cycle that last for years, nevermind this every
6month/1year crap. which is what crash n burn Ubuntu does.
 None of these will fill the gap as good as 1 major release and updates follow
(aka, the way Windows does it, yes Windows, ie: WinXP for years and years, its
easier for all development cycles).
 How many times, right after there is a major release, watch if FireFox,...,
doesn't offer some  super great upgrade ? Or, some important firmware update
after the fact always ends up being offered, in which case, the user has to
follow 100's of hoola-hoop threads, just to find out how to implement yet
another update/upgrade.
 Every 6 months, or even every year is a useless burden on
development/productions cycles.
 So instead, we should "FLOW" all these major/minor upgrades/updates along with
ONE major release.
 1st./ it makes that one main release more visible. kind-of like "FORD", get it
?
 Don't we do this anyway, by allowing users to upgrade to development cycles
anyway?
 Stick an "update" ICON on the desktop and there you go, offer some update
options and thats it. -just like Windows Update.

 I think this would be a better long-term solution ?-
my 2 Sense.
:)