On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 11:27 -0800, Erik Trimble wrote:
> Rick N wrote:
> > as far as "PC" clones goes:
> >  What about a release cycle that last for years, nevermind this every
> > 6month/1year crap. which is what crash n burn Ubuntu does.
> >  None of these will fill the gap as good as 1 major release and updates
> > follow
> > (aka, the way Windows does it, yes Windows, ie: WinXP for years and years,
> > its easier for all development cycles).
> >  How many times, right after there is a major release, watch if
> > FireFox,..., doesn't offer some  super great upgrade ? Or, some important
> > firmware update after the fact always ends up being offered, in which case,
> > the user has to follow 100's of hoola-hoop threads, just to find out how to
> > implement yet another update/upgrade.
> >  Every 6 months, or even every year is a useless burden on
> > development/productions cycles.
> >  So instead, we should "FLOW" all these major/minor upgrades/updates along
> > with ONE major release.
> >  1st./ it makes that one main release more visible. kind-of like "FORD",
> > get it ?
> >  Don't we do this anyway, by allowing users to upgrade to development
> > cycles anyway?
> >  Stick an "update" ICON on the desktop and there you go, offer some update
> > options and thats it. -just like Windows Update.
> >
> >  I think this would be a better long-term solution ?-
> > my 2 Sense.
> > :)
> >
> What you describe is /EXACTLY/ what happens with Solaris 10.  And will
> happen in good time with Solaris Next (aka Solaris 11 or whatever it
> gets called).
>
> For now (and, likely even post-Solaris Next), OpenSolaris will remain
> the "playground/sandbox" for development work, and as such, I can't see
> any change from the current model - a "stable" release every 6-12

Regardless of whether any formal announcement coming down from on high
from corporate, I seem to recall that the plan for Indiana was for just
such 6 month releases.  And so do a few others I've asked privately, so
I don't think I was hallucinating.

> months, with critical fixes in between for it, but end-users are
> expected to upgrade to the latest "stable" when it comes out.  I really
> don't know what Oracle is going to do about possibly providing support
> for OpenSolaris release versions - they're currently not renewing any
> support contracts for them, but who knows.  That all said, OpenSolaris
> is by its very nature a development platform, and expecting long-term
> support for various releases makes no sense.  If you need stability, go
> get Solaris 10.

I have.  But I fear free security updates will soon become a thing of
the past.  Am I missing something or has Oracle specifically addressed
this?

--
Ken Gunderson <kgund...@teamcool.net>