I have to stress here some things. At the time when SUN supportedOpenSolaris
there were room for other support providers as well.For example SUN had its
OpenStorage line, while guys from Nexentamade their distribution with GNU added
software especially dedicatedfor storage market. Only obstacle they had is that
SUN had muchbetter distribution channels than start-up company like Nexenta,but
they are succeeded and today going very well, too.
To conclude, that business model is already "in charge". ORACLEprobably won't
organize its product offer as SUN did where youwere able to buy commercial
support for any OpenSolaris200{8.05, 8.11, 9.06}. From my point of view, of
course thereare room for start-up companies to enter into that market,
butobviously it is not so huge since ORACLE decided to give up.
Personally, I'd be happy if they continue their bi-weekly buildrelease and
normalize their stable release on each six months.Later wish is not as much
important for me as first one, though.
What has to be improved is porting of open source ecosystemto OpenSolaris.
>From support of middleware depends its future.
Uros