>I've had bad experience setting NFS mounts in /etc/fstab.  The problem is:
>If the filesystem can't mount for any reason, then the machine doesn't come
>up.  Unless you set it as a "soft" mount, in which case, the slightest
>little network glitch causes clients to lose their minds.

There is also a "bg" mount option: the mount will continue in the
background when it fails; however, if a NFS mount is always needed, I
suggest to create it in /etc/auto_direct.  The mount isn't performed at
boot then but it is delayed until the mountpoint is accessed.

>What I wrote in the previous email, about using automount and hard
>interruptable NFS mounts was very well thought out and based on years of
>commercial deployment of NFS systems.  Like I said, it's rock solid if
>configured as I described.  It's resilient against network failure during
>boot, or during operation, yet it's force-interruptable by root if
>necessary, which is extremely rare.

I agree.  automount and not /etc/vfstab.

Casper