Matthias Pfützner <matth...@pfuetzner.de>
writes:

> Harry,
>
> sorry for my first answer, now that you rephrased some of the
> original post, I now remember, what your initial problam really
> was... More inline below...

It may not have been or still may not be much of a clear exposition on
my part either...

[...]

> OK, so that ROOT can chnage things, you need to add options to the
> EXPORT side (aka, the ZFS server)

[...]

>  zfs set sharenfs=ro...@192.168.2 pfuetz/smb-share

Thanks for that.

[...]

> You state, that you have the users and groups entries on BOTH
> (client + server) done exactly same by hand, so that should be good,
> still, I would verify that. And also please check on the ZFS-Server
> the file: /etc/nsswitch.conf for the entries for:
>
>         passwd
>         group
>
> They should look like:
>
>         passwd:     files
>         group:      files

nisswitch is setup as you've shown

> So, with that knowledge, we need to consult "man share_nfs":
>
> The things interesting to you might be the following options:
>
>          anon=uid            Set uid to be the effective user  ID
>                              of   unknown   users.   By  default,
>                              unknown users are given  the  effec-
>                              tive  user  ID UID_NOBODY. If uid is
>                              set to -1, access is denied.
>
>          root=access_list    Only  root  users  from  the   hosts
>                              specified  in  access_list have root
>                              access. See  access_list  below.  By
>                              default, no host has root access, so
>                              root  users   are   mapped   to   an
>                              anonymous  user ID (see the anon=uid
>                              option described  above).  Netgroups
>                              can  be  used  if  the  file  system
>                              shared is using UNIX  authentication
>                              ( AUTH_SYS).

Not really.  After more careful reading of share_nfs, mainly as an aid
to working with your posts and info, I'm thinking the defaults should
do just about all I need.

I brought up roots inability on client, to change uid:gid but only
because the defaults appear not to be working.  For example:

         nosuid

   =>  By default, clients are allowed to create  files  on
   =>  the  shared  file  system  with the setuid or setgid
   =>  mode enabled. Specifying nosuid  causes  the  server
       file system to silently ignore any attempt to enable
       the setuid or setgid mode bits.

With emphasis on the arrowed lines (not on `nosuid').

Its very possible I'm reading that wrong but it appears to be saying
the client machine users will be able to write files with there own
uid:gid.

That does not occur here.  All files are written nobody:nobody

[...]

>> And again, the USER:GID exists on both server and client with
>> the same numeric uid:gid:
>>
>>  osol (server) host:
>>
>>      uname -a
>>   SunOS zfs 5.11 snv_133 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris
>>
>>   root # ls -lnd /export/home/reader
>>   drwxr-xr-x 60 1000 10 173 2010-03-11 12:13 /export/home/reader

On closer checking I see the above info is erroneous/.

> Which "ls" command? /usr/gnu/bin/ls, or /usr/bin/ls? Still: Here we see, that
> the file had been created by a user with User-ID: 1000 and Group-ID: 10.

A default osol install leaves gnu tools first in the path so it was
gnu `ls' I posted.

> What's the output of:
>
>         ls -ld  /export/home/reader
>
> Does that resolve and list the user-name and group-name?

yes, well no.

I've found what may explain some of this... it appears somewhere in
the last few updates on client... my carefully hand edited gid has
disappeared.

There was a point whereas neither users default gid matched but each
belonged to group `wheel', which had been hand edited to match.

So there was a shared gid on both ends.  That is no longer the case.
Not sure why.

But even then the share_nfs man page seems to indicate that the client
users will write files to there own gid (there is no mention of
matching gid on both ends)