Just an FYI: Comcast seems to have changed their authentication requirements
today,
which broke some stuff.

My sendmail is running on Solaris 9, but with my own build of
sendmail (don't even ask how I did that, I've long since forgotten),
since I needed features that the old version supplied with the OS
didn't support.

I used to have a line in my authinfo db like
AuthInfo:smtp.comcast.net:587 "U:smmsp" "I:_my_acct_" "P:_my_passwd_"
"M:CRAM-MD5"

but to get it working again, I had to remove the "M:CRAM-MD5" and run makemap.

I'm guessing that leaves sendmail free to choose the appropriate method, and
that once
again Comcast changed something without telling people first.

Anyway, one can get this sort of thing working on pretty much any system, but
sometimes it gets rather arcane...