On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Mike Gerdts <mger...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 3:09 AM, Erik Trimble wrote:
>>
>>> All that said, I'm still a little mystified as to why the "normal"
>>> development builds are being held back.
>>
>> Could it be because "pkg image update" is known to work pretty well
>> going forward (b134 -> b134b) but is known not to work well or is
>> untested for going backward (b142 -> b134b)?  Or could there be other
>> things (e.g zfs version 23 in b135) that would make going back to
>> b134b problematic?  If so, I suspect that this is a matter of
>> protecting people from getting into a state where they can't
>> transition from a dev build to a release build.
>>
>> People that really want to do development can (subject to periodic
>> hiccups) do development on current bits by building their own.
>
> Sorry to side track a little here... I've seen that mentioned in
> several places recently, about building from sources.
>
> I wondered if there is a cache of info about doing that somewhere?
> Maybe some basic instructions or general outline of how to go at it?

Good starting points are:

http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+indiana/building_on
http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Main/downloads#HBuildingOpenSolaris

When you stumble trying to follow these processes (some of which will
be slightly out of date at any given time) it is best to ask for help
at tools-discuss, on-discuss, or another list where the developers are
more likely to hang out.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/