> Today I had to listen to Red Hat drone on about what
> is forthcoming in RHEL6.  Throughout I kept yawning
> and thinking, "I've done that in AIX since 2001" or
> "They're only now getting that?"
>
> Really, what is the draw to Linux?  It reminds me of
> a Fisher-Price or Playskool operating system.  How
> can I realistically not laugh at their product when
> they tout a new feature that I've been using for 10
> years on AIX?
>
> And if you want to use their Satellite server to
> manager your RHEL servers you have to fork over lots
> of money, whereas with AIX I don't have to pay
> anything to setup and utilize a NIM server which
> provides the same functionality as Satellite, and has
> been around for so, so long.  With NIM, I can also
> install Linux servers!
>
> ext4 is getting online defragmentation.  Yawn.  AIX
> has had defragfs for as long as I've used it that I
> can remember.  I don't recall reading that ext4 has
> dynamic i-node allocation either.  Something JFS2 has
> had for years.
>
> I really don't take Linux seriously and cannot
> understand how people think it is the be-all of
> operating systems when they are a decade behind AIX.
> And how they think it is so cost effective when you
>  have to pay for what is free in AIX.

AIX technologies do sound impressive but i would lose many of the features I
like If I would switch
If I run AIX i can't:

build my own systems
run Netbeans ( may work with PowerVM)
run Vitrualbox
read,modified,reuse source code( my favorite )
force to purchase $5000+ IBM power unit or take  a risk with a unit from ebay.

 those are just a few reason  how AIX would be an inferior OS that would put me
in UNIX's primitive era, no thanks

It would be nice though if IBM AIX386 was  still under developing  and  ran on
todays x86 then I would consider it.

    “How ya' gonna' do it?
    PS/2 It!
    It's as easy as I.B.M.”