On 6/5/2010 12:42 AM, Edward Martinez wrote:
Today I had to listen to Red Hat drone on about what
is forthcoming in RHEL6.  Throughout I kept yawning
and thinking, "I've done that in AIX since 2001" or
"They're only now getting that?"

Really, what is the draw to Linux?  It reminds me of
a Fisher-Price or Playskool operating system.  How
can I realistically not laugh at their product when
they tout a new feature that I've been using for 10
years on AIX?

And if you want to use their Satellite server to
manager your RHEL servers you have to fork over lots
of money, whereas with AIX I don't have to pay
anything to setup and utilize a NIM server which
provides the same functionality as Satellite, and has
been around for so, so long.  With NIM, I can also
install Linux servers!

ext4 is getting online defragmentation.  Yawn.  AIX
has had defragfs for as long as I've used it that I
can remember.  I don't recall reading that ext4 has
dynamic i-node allocation either.  Something JFS2 has
had for years.

I really don't take Linux seriously and cannot
understand how people think it is the be-all of
operating systems when they are a decade behind AIX.
And how they think it is so cost effective when you
  have to pay for what is free in AIX.

AIX technologies do sound impressive but i would lose many of the features I
like If I would switch
If I run AIX i can't:

build my own systems
run Netbeans ( may work with PowerVM)
run Vitrualbox
read,modified,reuse source code( my favorite )
force to purchase $5000+ IBM power unit or take  a risk with a unit from ebay.

  those are just a few reason  how AIX would be an inferior OS that would put
me in UNIX's primitive era, no thanks

It would be nice though if IBM AIX386 was  still under developing  and  ran on
todays x86 then I would consider it.

     “How ya' gonna' do it?
     PS/2 It!
     It's as easy as I.B.M.”

     “How ya' gonna' do it?
     PS/2 It!
     The solution is I.B.M.”

Sadly, I think that's really AIX's biggest weakness: there's no "foot-in-the-door" path. I also think that's something that Oracle really, desperately needs to avoid losing: the ability for entry-level people to get ahold of, and really, really, have a chance to thoroughly use, Solaris. By "use" I mean play with all the nice advanced features that it can do.

I realize you're not going to make a lot of money off these folks (but, hey, you could make /some/), but they're the next gen folks who will be specifying hardware for you. AIX's problem right now is that the new generation (let's face it, anyone under 30) is pretty much totally ignorant of what it really can do, and isn't going to have the chance to learn much - they'll have to be hired into an IBM shop for something completely non-IBMish, and that's a tough road to hoe for getting people exposed to your product.

If we can keep (Open)Solaris out there, with an extremely low barrier-to-entry, we can compete for the Linuxes for mindshare, if not marketshare. Because, really, Linux is great for a lot of things, but running solid, simply-managed, robust, scalable systems isn't one of them.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support