On Jun 3, 2010, at 4:19 AM, bsd wrote:

> "Matrurity of Linux"
>
> That is a funny mix of words, and certainly not how I would conjoin them.
> Consider SLES9 was released only a few years ago, yet with an ext3 filessytem
> you cannot grow it online!  In AIX 3.2, circa 1995, you could grow a
> filesystem online.  A supposedly modern operating system and filesystem
> cannot do what was achievable 12 years ago by another filesystem and
> operating system?

Actually, that's no longer true.  Ext3 filesystems can be resized online (in
both directions) starting with the 2.6.x kernels.  However, it requires the
filesystem to have originally been created with the "-O resize_inode" option,
which is a pretty big caveat since it requires you to have anticipated the need
to resize the filesystem when you originally created it.

Note that a lot of filesystems (for example, XFS) can be grown online, but can
never be shrunk, so ext3's capabilities don't look that bad by comparison.
It's still nowhere near what you can do with ZFS, though.  Even when you couple
ext3 with LVM it's still a painful multi-step process to resize a volume, and
there's a real chance of data loss if you get your math wrong.

--

David Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics