Stephan Ferraro <step...@ferraro.net> wrote:

> > hi,
> >
> > I want to move from a Linux (Debian Lenny) based
> > RootServer (Hetzner) to OSOL. At the moment my Box
>
> I use already OpenSolaris at Hetzner for my websites but I'm still porting
> them from a Ubuntu Linux system to OSOL.
> I can already give you some advices:
> 1. Install a Intel e1000 network card (some costs of installation + flexi
> pack)

Not needed, the network card that is included is sussicient.
You however need to understand networking in order to be able to forward
dedicated IP addresses to zones and Xen guests.

> 2. Install a KVM-PCI card (149 EUR installation costs) (you will probably use
> it after upgrading OSOL)

Not needed, Solaris runs fine whout a console.
The only real problem is the missing Indiana 2010/03 as with the old rescue
system, we cannot use deduplication.

> 3. Upgrade to snv134 WITHOUT upgrading the zpool's because Hetzners OSOL
> rescue system uses snv111. You will no more be able to mount via ZFS from the
> rescue system your partitions if you upgrade the zpools (I have not tested,
> but I don't want to restart to configure again my whole system).

This is indeed highly recommended.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin