On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Edward Martinez <mindbende...@live.com> wrote:

>> How is that any different from how Sun positioned it? I always got the
>> impression
>> that OS was the development platform for Solaris Next. How has that changed?
>>
>> fpsm
>
> I had the impression with a  stable release and a service contract,
> OpenSolaris could
> be also be used in production enviroments. I think the Sun fire x2250 server,
> now it's
> E-O-L,  was one of SUNs servers that also listed opensolaris as one  of the
> supported
> OS. I think  non of Oracle's  current Sun servers lists both Solaris and
> OpenSolaris
> as supported OS, they only list  solaris 10. but as usual i can be wrong ;)

[...]

Ah... there's the rub. It comes down to  the definition of "production".

Just because a vendor says that they will support something, does not
necessarily make
it recommended or preferred as a production solution. It's a matter of
due diligence on
the part of the customer to look at all of the factors, including the
probable long term plan
for a product and stated intended use by the vendor for a product,
before deciding to put
that product in "production" in their environment.

In this case I think Sun, and now Oracle, have been pretty
consistently clear that OpenSolaris
is intended as the development platform for Solaris Next, not as a
parity choice with Solaris
10. To me that says "bleeding edge", which in my experience is almost
never particularly
well suited for a production environment. For development? Sure. For
proof of concept? Yep.
For production support of non-mission critical, non-core service.
Maybe. For core business
processes? Not even close.

fpsm