The question of Support for Solaris/OpenSolaris has been discussed close ad
infinitum here already. Please check the archives!

And, the decision to use OpenSolaris on a production server is CU's (or
yours), not Sun's, nor Oracle's...

        Matthias

You (Fredrich Maney) wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Edward Martinez <mindbende...@live.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> How is that any different from how Sun positioned it? I always got the
> >> impression
> >> that OS was the development platform for Solaris Next. How has that
> >> changed?
> >>
> >> fpsm
> >
> > I had the impression with a  stable release and a service contract,
> > OpenSolaris could
> > be also be used in production enviroments. I think the Sun fire x2250
> > server, now it's
> > E-O-L,  was one of SUNs servers that also listed opensolaris as one  of the
> > supported
> > OS. I think  non of Oracle's  current Sun servers lists both Solaris and
> > OpenSolaris
> > as supported OS, they only list  solaris 10. but as usual i can be wrong ;)
>
> [...]
>
> Ah... there's the rub. It comes down to  the definition of "production".
>
> Just because a vendor says that they will support something, does not
> necessarily make
> it recommended or preferred as a production solution. It's a matter of
> due diligence on
> the part of the customer to look at all of the factors, including the
> probable long term plan
> for a product and stated intended use by the vendor for a product,
> before deciding to put
> that product in "production" in their environment.
>
> In this case I think Sun, and now Oracle, have been pretty
> consistently clear that OpenSolaris
> is intended as the development platform for Solaris Next, not as a
> parity choice with Solaris
> 10. To me that says "bleeding edge", which in my experience is almost
> never particularly
> well suited for a production environment. For development? Sure. For
> proof of concept? Yep.
> For production support of non-mission critical, non-core service.
> Maybe. For core business
> processes? Not even close.
>
> fpsm

    Matthias Pfützner    | mailto:pfu...@germany |    Keith Packard said:
 @work: +49 6103 752-394 | @home: +49 6151 75717 | R5 is different from R4.
  SunCS, Ampèrestraße 6  | Lichtenbergstraße 73  | That's why we changed the
    63225 Langen, FRG    | 64289 Darmstadt, FRG  | release number :-)