"People want a binary release of OpenSolaris which would be tatamount to
FreeBSD and OpenBSD, not Linux where you get a kernel only and told to "build
your own." There are many advantages to having a complete operating system
rather than a roll-your-own distro."
---->

True, as most users will want something like an distributed OS image already
built and somewhat tested by a trusted source. I don't expect a user to 'roll
their own' distro. This is an option for those people that want to utilize that
option.
Otherwise, users have to wait awhile for the next major release or use what is
available today. Kinda like saying," you can either build your own current game
machine or wait till the next upcoming gaming consoles'. You either patiently
wait or start working on your solutions with what you got (or can get).

My point is that for most of today's solutions most users need 'probably' can
be done, for production use, on Solaris 10. Those users wanting the latest
'stuff' can use OSOL-DEV-134 or a recently updated distro from a third-party
supplier. Then, you have the tested releases of OSOL 2009.06 and previous
SXCE/SXDE snapshots (if you were lucky enough to grab those).

So, other than running *BSD/Linux/Other you do have some options unless people
just want the latest and greatest OpenSolaris distro release based on the
current public kernel release (i.e. snv_b143 at the moment). But then users
will want a bunch of the packages in IPS updated which starts a cycle of
unpaid/paid work allotment.

Well, sadly we have to think about whose gonna foot the bill for that if
'certain people' don't want to 'roll-their-own' packages nor pay for the
'package rolling' work being done?

That's for another thread at another time...

Oracle is working on the next production release of 'Solaris'. Either we wait
for it, use what we got, or look for other options - especially for those
people not willing to pay for it or the work involved there or elsewhere.
Exempt yourself if you do.

Not trying to sound mean...    ;o)

~ Ken Mays