> fwiw-- 8.1RC2 is at ZFS v14 as well.   I think 8.0
> was at 13.
>
> It's not ZFS per se that I'm hesitant to trust but
> rather FreeBSD's implementation.  Nothing against the
> FBSD developers. Just best to be conservative in the
> test of time department when it comes to production
> systems and "new features" ;)
>
> And no, not too far off topic.  Good to see that Sun
> engineers aren't too "inbred" and keeping abreast.
> FreeBSD gets a LOT of stuff right and has done
> amazing progress as a true open source project.  I
>  think Open Solaris could learn from it.

Some Solaris/OpenSolaris drivers were ported from *BSD originals.
And not only ZFS, but DTrace have been ported to one or more *BSDs
and derivatives.

The license compatibility (in both directions) certainly helps.  But lest
folks that prefer GPL view that as some vast conspiracy, remember
that the *BSDs and Solaris have common ancestors, whereas Linux
was intended from the beginning to be a completely independent
implementation with similar functionality.  So porting a driver from
a *BSD to Solaris might well be easier than from Linux to Solaris (or vice
versa),
even if the licenses weren't an issue.