"Richard L. Hamilton" <rlha...@smart.net> wrote:

> Some Solaris/OpenSolaris drivers were ported from *BSD originals.
> And not only ZFS, but DTrace have been ported to one or more *BSDs
> and derivatives.
>
> The license compatibility (in both directions) certainly helps.  But lest
> folks that prefer GPL view that as some vast conspiracy, remember
> that the *BSDs and Solaris have common ancestors, whereas Linux
> was intended from the beginning to be a completely independent
> implementation with similar functionality.  So porting a driver from
> a *BSD to Solaris might well be easier than from Linux to Solaris (or vice
> versa),
> even if the licenses weren't an issue.

There are less license issues with Solaris vs. Linux than people may believe.

I am currently writing a book review on the book "Die GPL kommentiert und
erklärt"
The book was written by:

        Till Jäger / Olaf Koglin / Till Kreutzer / Axel Metzger / Carsten Schulz

these are the lawyers that did manage the GPL court cases for Harald Welte
the founder of gplviolations.org.

These people are definitely not being expected to be hostile against the FSF
and they clearly explain on page 70 of their book in
http://www.oreilly.de/german/freebooks/gplger/pdf/025-168.pdf
why the filesystem AFS is no problem in the linux kernel. All arguments they
use also apply to ZFS......so why should there be a problem with ZFS or DTrace
in the Linux kernel?

See my (currently incomplete) book review on:

http://www.osscc.net/de/gplger.html

BTW: While writing articles on license compatibility on http://osscc.net
I found that non of the claims seen on the FSF websites are confirmed by
provable legal facts. On the other side, all lawyers that confirm their
statemens by proovable legal facts are claiming that there is no problem
unless you _directly_ mix CDDL anf GPL code sniplets inside a single work.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       j...@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)