> "W. Wayne Liauh" <w...@hawaiilinux.org> wrote:
>
> > > BTW: The problem with the US law system is that
> you
> > > cannot cancel a patent
> > > separately. This needs to be done during the main
> > > hearing of the trial.
> > >
> > > Jörg
> > >

> > Actually in the US, you can file a re-examination
> request with the Patent Office to invalidate an
> issued patent.  NetApp's COW patent, USP 5,818,292,
> was subsequently rejected as invalid in light of
> "newly discovered prior art" by the US Patent and
> Trademark Office during a re-examination proceeding
> initiated by Sun.  NetApp is appealing the decision.
>
> I had a long phone call with the Sun lawyer when
> Netapp started the
> case. This person told me that there is no such way.
>
> Note that USP 5,818,292 is a patent for a band gap
> reference circuit.
>
> Do you have a reference on what you claim?
>
> Jörg

Oops, the number of Netapp's COW patent should be 5,819,292 (just in case I
messed up again, I am pointing to a copy of this patent in its entirety:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT5819292

I don''t have the info at hand, but if anyone can find the control number of
this re-examination proceeding, we can read the entire file history from
USPTO's web site:

http://tinyurl.com/usp292

Thanks for pointing out my error.