You (Edward Ned Harvey) wrote:
> I continually say that solaris & opensolaris are designed to be servers, not
> desktops.  I'd like to go into the reasons why, and see what other opinions
> people have about this.
>

> The characteristics that I think make up servers:
>
> Servers are always on.

My small ATOM-510 based home-NAS-Server uses 48W when running close to idle,
and uses ~65W, when under load... So, yes, it does power management, turns off
unused disks, for example... Because you don't need all disks at all
times... ;-)

> Servers don't need power management; they never sleep.

I would argue a bit different... ;-) Yes, they do need power management, as
servers also have times of lower usage. It would be great if they would turn
off unneeded ressources, which Solaris can do... ;-)

> Servers are used remotely for the most part.
>

> The characteristics that I think make up desktops:
>
> Desktops have features which enhance process management and task switching.
>
> Desktops can easily run and be compatible with random web apps, like
> dropbox, skype, flash, silverlight, etc.
>
> Desktops are expected to wake and sleep on a regular basis.
>
> Desktops do your audio/video
>
> Desktops need to connect with printers regularly.
>
> Desktops have external peripherals connected regularly - usb drives,
> cameras, webcmas, headphones/headset, etc.
>
> Desktops will run your web browsers, office apps, pdf viewers, etc. Mail
> clients, etc.
>
> Desktops will roam from network to network.  You need to do wifi well.  You
> need to do network security/firewall well.
>

> So now, the reasons why I think solaris/opensolaris are well suited to be
> servers and not so much as desktops:
>

> gnome etc, the gui of opensolaris is no better at task switching and
> application management than windows XP was.  This is obsolete compared to
> aero, aqua, or compiz.  (win7, osx, and ubuntu)  These other OSes offer
> gui's which are much more powerful and flexible in terms of application
> management and task switching.

Compiz is standard on OSOL... ;-) And Solaris always was and still is good at
task-switching... That's to be learned on servers, where you have many, many
tasks, and not only a small handful, like on desktops... (OK, I know, you were
talking about a different "task switching" aspect here... ;-) )

> The application availability on sol/osol is not as good as win/mac/linux.
> For example:  Dropbox and skype are both available win/mac/linux.  No
> solaris.  Flash is available win/mac/linux/solaris.  Silverlight is
> available win/mac.  No linux or solaris.  Bittorrent:  win/mac/linux.

Skype: http://blogs.sun.com/migi/entry/skype_on_opensolaris_the_last
Flash: Flash 9 is available...
Bittorrent: http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=272361

> There are no desktop apps available in sol/osol, which aren't also available
> in the other platforms.  But there are lots of apps available in the other
> platforms, which aren't available in sol/osol.
>

> I have never put sol/osol to sleep.  So I cannot say anything about this.
> Does it work?  Is it highly configurable and reliable?

Works. Suspend to RAM, not yet Suspend to disk...

> Hardware compatibility for audio/video is a problem for sol/osol.  Not very
> good at 3D.  Not compatible with lots of webcams and microphone devices and
> cameras etc.  And printers.

3D? Used nvidia graphics board, and you should have slightly better 3d than on
the same hardware with Linux or Windows... ;-)

Printers? OSOL uses CUPS, just like close to all Linuxes...;-)

> For both sol/osol and linux, there is no good calendar application.  You
> need either Outlook, Entourage, or iCal for this.  Reliable reminders
> available online/offline, with addressbook and email integration.

What about lightning in Thunderbird?

> By default during installation, even if you indicate you aren't going to use
> it remotely, sshd is enabled.
>
> By default, there is no firewall.

There is, ipfilt, but it's not switched on by default. OTOH, OpenSolaris is
installed as "secure by default"... ;-)

> I haven't used sol/osol for wifi.  Does it have a good wifi utility for
> joining networks?

NWAM should do, never tried it yet...

--
    Matthias Pfützner    | mailto:pfu...@germany | Die interessantesten