Ed said:
"I continually say that solaris & opensolaris are designed to be servers, not
desktops.  I'd like to go into the reasons why, and see what other opinions
people have about this."
--->

Well, the basicness of what you said is true -as 'Solaris' primarily is a
server-oriented product from a marketing emphasis standpoint.

But Solaris is one of the best Unix-based OS for desktops/workstations on the
market - overshadowed mainly by Mac OS X. It does not have all the whiz-bangery
and ported FOSS applications of most Linux/BSD desktop distros or Mac OS X, but
it provide solid reliability and scalability.