Matthew Nawrocki wrote:
> What I mean is, with Oracle having full control, would a fork be less
> likely to happen? I am afraid that Oracle could take draconian measures
> to keep things bottled up. Just my two cents.

The only thing the OGB controls is the management of the community governance
structure, which these days is mostly controlling the process for how new
projects & community groups get setup on the website.

Oracle already has full control over the management of the OpenSolaris website,
the OpenSolaris trademark, the release schedule of the OpenSolaris distro,
the updates to the main OpenSolaris IPS repositories, and integrations to the
master code base.   Unhappiness with how Sun & Oracle has managed these are the
reasons people have proposed forks - I don't see how the OGB decision would make
any difference here, nor what draconian measures Oracle could or would take to
prevent you from copying the already released open source code to another site
to start your fork from.

The primary obstacle to starting a fork has always been and continues to be the
lack of developers interested in working on it, compared to the number of people
who want to post endless discussion about why someone else should go do it.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersm...@oracle.com